The Bloomsburg Public Library is looking for an individual who has the desire and ability to serve the public with enthusiasm, friendliness, tact, and respect. The position provides a great variety of experiences, but also requires attention to detail and the capability to work as a professional team member. Being an active reader is a plus, but not a requirement.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
A Library Assistant performs various public service and some “behind-the-scenes” duties to support the library operation and its activities. Work involves responsibility for a complex set of tasks, which requires exercise of individual judgment, using skills and knowledge gained through training and experience. The work requires that the employee have some knowledge of library functions. Training for job-specific responsibilities will be provided. A Library Assistant understands the overall purpose of the Library and its role in the Bloomsburg community. Once trained, the employee will have a thorough working knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Bloomsburg Public Library.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to cheerfully and energetically respond to patron requests, to work cooperatively in a team environment, to be flexible as the demands of the job change, to become familiar with the location of library resources, to handle the fast-pace of telephone and in-person interactions, and to assist library patrons with the use of the library. Must be committed to excellent customer service. Proficiency in online environment and use of PCs/printing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The Bloomsburg Public Library is committed to excellent customer service and staff is expected to work as a team and contribute to an efficient and pleasant work culture. Library staff members must be comfortable working with a variety of library users.
HOURS: This is a part-time, non-exempt position. It is anticipated, but not guaranteed, that the average will be 12-20 hours per week. At this time, availability to cover most afternoon-to-evening slots (12-8 pm) on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday is required, as is 12-5pm on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings, 7:30 am-noon. The final schedule will be determined at the time of hire.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
This employee provides a full range of circulation desk services, such as, but not limited to:
- Provide courteous, cheerful, and efficient public service to patrons of various ages, interests, backgrounds, and levels of library expertise.
- Checking in and checking out materials
- Registering new patrons and updating patron records
- Shelves library materials accurately
- Assists patrons with library equipment (including computers, printers, and the copier)
- Assist public in using laptops, cellphone, and tablets on the library’s Wi-Fi.
- Answers directional questions and refers patrons to appropriate library personnel.
- Answers the phone in a professional, courteous manner
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Enthusiasm to provide high-quality public service is essential
- Ability to learn library practices and Ability to work with many different people, sometimes under difficult circumstances.
- Must be able to pay close attention to details and concentrate on work.
- Knowledge of popular authors, genres, and nonfiction subjects is helpful
- Very good computer and Internet skills are required; working skill in typing for data entry.
- Ability to develop proficiency in library circulation software
- Good skills with hand-held devices such as smartphone, tablet, and/or e-reader in order to teach patrons how to use them, particularly as they relate to the library and library services.
- Good ability to understand and follow verbal instructions.
- Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates, and the general public.
- Math ability: make change without calculator; handle daily cash receipts with aid of calculator
Moderate to substantial physical effort is required to perform duties under typical work conditions. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and climb stairs, sit, speak, hear, and use hands to operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and complex documents and use a computer. The employee is sometimes required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and push/pull book carts. Must be able to travel to library to begin shift on time.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Associate degree or 2 yrs. of college preferred. Minimum of HS diploma or equivalent required.
- Relevant life/work experience, including retail, is a plus.
- Library work experience is a plus.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must provide proof of all necessary state and FBI clearances by start date. Must have valid driver’s license and transportation to work.
COMPENSATION: $9.00 per hour (This position will not become full-time.)
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: The BPLis an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications will be accepted until August 14, 2019. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately.
Please submit a resume of job and volunteer experience plus a cover letter expressing interest in library work and three references. At least one reference should be work-related. Email submission preferred, but method does not affect candidacy.
Submit by email: email@example.com (preferred method)
Lydia Kegler, M.L.S.
Bloomsburg Public Library
225 Market Street
Bloomsburg, PA 17815